Please tell us your great ideas

page number

use pdf files own page numbers. I.e. if you have a pdf book or similar with 3 pages pretext and then pages with numbers you will go to page X of the book instead of just page number X of the pdf file.

43 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Paul Kant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The developers will go nuts when they read a book by Drawboard which doesn't support logical page numbers.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the page numbers could be imported from documents, this would make Drawboard much more useful for bundles of legal documents - for use in court.

At present, it seems that other applications - notably those on Mac machines, might be more suitable for lawyers, but I don't like Macs.

Alternatively, if I could paginate my own document that would help, so I can add in additional documents mid-bundle, say, page called 123a, p123b, p123c etc, without all the subsequent page numbers being incorrect.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the only thing preventing me from using Drawboard for all my textbooks. I really hope they get on this. It already retains the bookmarks that you see in Adobe, would is be hard to also retain the page numbers?

• Kenji O commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely a nice feature of Adobe Acrobat, and I'd love to see this in Drawboard! I like the reading experience in Drawboard more, and this would make it even better. In particular, if you look up something in the index of a book, it's hard to jump to the relevant page without this feature ...

• Anthony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please update Drawboard PDF with the option to "Use logical page numbers" as seen in Adobe Reader, which will use the page numbers of the PDF rather than always considering the first page "page 1" (Ex. page 96 to the PDF reader is actually page 75 in the PDF). This will make it much easier and faster to find the correct page in a PDF that has a roman numeral table of contents pages before the actual "page 1". See screenshot.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes, please fix this page number issue, it would help me to read and annotate ebooks a lot!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. And it is disappointing that Drawboard five months later has not done anything about it.

• Dave Safanyuk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

add consistency to page number. as it stands my text book's cover page starts as page one, i would like the option to choose my own starting page.

• J T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would definitely be a huge help. It makes it difficult to follow along with my teacher when we're looking at pdfs that have the pretext pages. My teacher says "go to page 7", but in reality on Drawboard it ends up being page "7+x", where x is some number that you have to figure out first :-(

• Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's frustrating when trying to navigate to a page in a textbook from the ToC or Index and the numbering is off. Sometimes I just use Adobe to make life simpler.

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this would be a huge help, i use drawboard to read and annotate journal articles and textbooks all the time and the page numbering is always wrong.

• Jared commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oops, the last three paragraphs should be deleted (they were included by mistake), but I don't seem to be able to edit the post.

• Jared commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I spend hours each day on Drawboard viewing textbooks, and almost none of them have pdf page numbers which correspond to the page numbers printed on the physical book. I very often know the physical page number I'd like to go to (from the index, the table of contents, another reference, or speaking to a colleague), and it's a gigantic inconvenience that I can't simply type in that number and be sent to the right page.

Instead of simply being able to enter the physical page number, I need to either (1) figure out or remember how many pages to shift for this particular document and do the arithmetic; or (2) enter the physical page number, get sent to the wrong page, and scroll or otherwise navigate to the right page. Either way, this requires shifting focus away from the actual work I'm trying to accomplish, wasting time and causing distractions, which kills productivity.

Other pdf readers (such as Adobe Reader) solve this problem by displaying (and allowing one to type in) page numbers other than arabic numerals. Usually the cover of the text is denoted "cover" and the pages before physical page 1 are labeled with roman numerals. Also displayed is something like "(page 14 of 250)" which specifies the location of the page in the pdf file -- this is the page number which Drawboard displays.

I'm relatively certain these other editors use the pdf's metadata to determine how page numbers should be displayed. There are various methods for editing this metadata (including just editing the pdf in a text file). As such, I see several distinct features (in two main groups) :

1a. Include an option to display the page number as specified in the metadata, rather than the page's location in the pdf file, .
    1b. Allow a user to input roman numerals (and possibly other types of input*) as well as arabic numbers.
    1c. Possibly include an option to display the page location alongside the metadata option; i.e., the "(page n of N)" format.

2. Allow the user to change the way page numbers are displayed from within Drawboard.

It seems to me like items 1a-c should be fairly simple to implement. Frankly, I'm shocked Drawboard hasn't implemented them already, given how many advanced features the editor possesses.

Item 2, while necessary in my view for Drawboard to be fully featured, is not strictly necessary. A user can certainly edit the metadata in another application. I would much rather have items 1a and 1b sooner, rather than waiting for item 2 to be implemented.

It would improve my daily workflow tremendously if at least items 1a and 1b could be implemented as soon as possible.

* I believe the metadata supports any string as a label for the pdf page.

Note: I found a bug report which essentially complains that this functionality is not already integrated, but it doesn't seem to have made its way to the feature requests: https://drawboard.uservoice.com/forums/259661-bugs/suggestions/6376580-workspace-page-numbering-in-drawboard-is-incorrec

Instead of simply being able to enter the physical page number, I need to either (1) remember how many pages to shift for this particular pdf and do the arithmetic; or (2) enter the physical page number and

In the documents I work in most often, I remember something like "I need to add 19 pages," but this is a horrible solution which distracts me from the work I'm trying to do.

Note: I found a bug report which essentially complains that this functionality is not already integrated, but it doesn't seem to have made its way to the feature requests: https://drawboard.uservoice.com/forums/259661-bugs/suggestions/6376580-workspace-page-numbering-in-drawboard-is-incorrec

• MrELectrifyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I open a PDF book in Adobe Reader, it recognizes the custom page numbers for cover page, contents pages, preface, etch, then finally the usually page #s. Add support in Drawboard PDF for such PDF file format.

Feedback and Knowledge Base