Please tell us your great ideas

Make mouse act like touch instead of pen

I almost never want to draw with my mouse, but that is what I end up doing a lot when I want to pan. If the mouse acted like touch then it would always pan (unless I turned annotate with touch on).

65 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Hunter Pritchett shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kristofer Tatsch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Plus one vote on all of this. Mouse for annotation has been the single biggest flaw for years. Having come back to Drawboard recently after being somewhat forced into Adobe and Bluebeam, I'm inadvertently marking up PDF's during presentations when I'm trying to navigate. Being able to use the mouse to annotate should be an option, not the default. As indicated below, touch should default to page manipulation, pen should default to annotate, and mouse should default to selection but of course with middle and right buttons to modify for panning and zooming, wheel for scrolling. Mouse button modifiers should ideally be similar to other document software or perhaps Autodesk software rather than Google maps, which really went the wrong way with button modifiers.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like the mouse to always select text, so I can use 3 different input methods for 3 different things: touch to pan, mouse to select text, and pen to draw (the way Microsoft's Reader worked). Since some people want the mouse to always pan, the best solution would be to have a setting to choose whether the mouse always selects text, always pans, or acts the same way as the pen.

• Mustafa Nawaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additional remarks: On a surface tablet, mouse can be hidden when using pen tracking by windows default. However Mouse isn't hidden when using my wacom graphics tablet on pc. Is it possible to implement pen tracking custom cursor rather than default windows cursor when using pen or any other tool. One note was able to do this, so I want Drawboard pdf to also have the custom pen tracker on all tablet based input.

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is necessary. having the mouse act as the pen is not intuitive at all and I keep accidentally drawing on my pdf

• Tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes yes yes.

I think this would have been on oversight when the checkbox to enable/disable finger inking was implemented.
    It's very nice to be able to pan with my finger, and write with my stylus (intuitive).
    But you forgot about the mouse and now it leaves dots all over my pdfs that i don't necessarily notice. I am clicking expecting something other than inking to happen.

I, and most users i think, do not ever want to ink with mouse. It sucks. So the default should be that mouse always pans, even when a pen is selected in the radial.

I'm still waiting for this to be implemented. It is really annoying that every time I try to select text I end up drawing a line across the document. A simple option in settings that make the mouse only select text would be good.

I am very happy Mr. ADMIN realized the problem, because I've followed the question for a long time. The key point is we don't want the cursor/mouse to draw when we are using the pen or when we have selected the pen, just let the mouse act as normal so we can use the mouse to drag the text without leaving any dots. Thanks for your effort.

I am a student of phisics. I have a surfacebook of i5 8+256GB. I like Drawboard pdf very much. But an annoying feature makes me have to use Xodo now. That's, when I read the scientific literature and use the pen, I frequntly use mouse to select some words for dictionary or click the in-pdf link to skip to the references or the equations cited in the pdf. Unforturnately, I have to click the cursor icon first then I can do what I said above. After that, I click the pen icon to continue using the pen. It is so annoying. Another thing is, under the pen using situation, it always leaves many points on the pdf, sometimes because I want to click mouse to select the pdf, sometimes just use mouse to click to back to drawboard pdf from other windows. Please provide us the option or just set it default to make the mouse/cursor act as touch function or cursor funtion when the pen is selected. Thank you, Drawboard pdf team.

The mouse always makes many points on my pdf when I use the pen, which forces me to use xodo now. Please provide us the option to disable mouse to draw.

• Wanyu Jiang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree! I always want to choose text by mouse or touch board, but it draws instead. I think few people use mouse to draw, if there is any. It's really annoying!

• Calvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that this is irritating. When I want to switch windows I'll usually click on it, but this will draw on the PDF. If the program could separate the mouse and pen actions that would be great!

Great app, but this is spot on. At the minimum, it should be offered as an option in settings (and really should probably be the default behavior).

Totally agree. When I am reading the literature I use the pen to annotate. It is annoying I should first click tool button to change to the cursor type when I need to use mouse to select or click. Please offer choice don't let the mouse annotate.

• Jack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree. I use the pen to annotate. It's very annoying that the mouse is also set to write. The mouse should just be used to click and select.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base